The production of the new James Bond film has a Twitter account (oh, 21st Century….) and live tweeted Eon’s traditional “We’re having a new Bond film so here’s all the info” press conference.
Here’s the highlights:
- The film is titled Skyfall.
- Ralph Fiennes and Albert Finney are joining the cast in unspecified roles.
- Javier Bardem is officially signed to portray the film’s villain.
- Naomie Harris, originally rumored to be Money Penny, will instead play a field agent named Eve.
- Director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road To Perdition) claims Skyfall “is its own story. It doesn’t connect with the last two movies.”
And here’s the official logline:
Bond’s loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.
To be honest I’m not a huge Bond fan. I like the original Connery films and the Brosnan ones (save for Die Another Day), and I loved Casino Royale, but Quantam of Solace was so bad it made me not really care about Bond anymore, so it’s hard to get excited about Skyfall. I’m encouraged by the fact that it’s disconnected from the previous two films. Bond works best in standalone efforts. I like Mendes’ work, and I’m curious to see his take on the character. I’m optimistic, but not fully on board. What say you?